Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
- In stock, ready to ship
|Disclaimer: Each piece is individually carved and slight variations may occur|
The Manaia is an ancient mythical being with a birds head and a human form. It is said to be the messenger between the earthly world of mortals and the domain of the spirits illustrating the strong links the Maori people have with spirituality and the spirit world.
It is a holder of great spiritual energy and is a guardian against evil.
The Manaia can be seen blended into many Maori designs with subtle differences between tribes.
The Manaia is often depicted with the three fingers of birth, life and death. It can also be shown with a fourth finger representing the afterlife and describing the circle of life.
Your bone carving is made of highly polished bone. This is a porous material and over time absorbs oils from your skin turning to a soft honey gold colour wherever it has been in contact with your skin. This is normal and one of the great beauties of bone crafted jewellery.
A bone carving not only looks good but it also feels nice to touch. Handling the carving will not only keep it nicely polished but will also allow your body oils to enter the carving making it a part of you. The Maori people believe it also takes on the spirit of all those who wear it so the more colour it develops the more highly it is treasured.
- Be careful not to spill other coloured liquids onto the carving such as red wines etc as these will also be absorbed into the carving.
- Though bone is a very hard material it can also be brittle and will break if dropped or connects with other hard surfaces.
- Check the condition of the cord often.
- Never use household cleaning or polishing compounds on your carving.
- Its recommended that you remove the bone carving when swimming, showering or bathing. These activities can cause irreparable damage.